We love this great recipe for soothing a scratchy or a sore throat! Fresh ginger gives this tea a sharp foundation, but the honey and orange juice ensure a sweet finish. If you’re already feeling sick, this drink is perfect for calming a testy throat with zesty spice. But the antimicrobial properties of honey will help you heal and prevent illness as well!
- 1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ½ fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp. organic honey
- Start by peeling and grating the ginger. If you don’t have a great grater (heh heh), you can always use a paring knife to cut the ginger into small, thin pieces.
- Combine ginger and water into a small pot and slowly bring to a light boil.
- Turn down the heat and keep at a below-boil simmer as you add orange juice, stirring gently.
- Add the honey slowly and stir often to be sure it’s mixed in well. This will help avoid the common problem of only getting honey in the last couple sips!
- Let simmer for at least 2-3 minutes. You can leave it on longer to increase that ginger kick.
- Pour through a fine strainer and straight into a big mug, then squeeze the lemon into the mix!
- Wrap up in a blanket and enjoy the refreshing cup of citrus ginger calm.
- Steep a bag or two of black tea, either in the mug or in the pot, if in need of a little caffeine.
- Experiment with the amount of ginger to find your desired level of spice.
- Substitute the fresh lemon with a tablespoon of organic lemon juice for a less subtle lemon tang. Stir this in with the OJ.
Let us know what you think of our Citrus Ginger Tea Recipe. If you have any innovations, be sure to share them!